On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 6:06 PM James H. H. Lampert via MIDRANGE-L
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But I'm getting some peculiar results.

If I do
find . -name *.jar

in /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk80/64bit, then it *only* returns
./IBMmisc.jar; it doesn't look in any subdirectories.

And if I do it in /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk80/64bit/jre/lib,
which is *full* of JAR files, then it returns nothing, and instead, I
get something even stranger:
find: 001-2187 The option charsets.jar is not valid.

The wildcard isn't doing what you are intending. The shell (Qshell in
this case, but any sufficiently "unixy" shell) expands the wildcard
into multiple fully formed names BEFORE `find` gets a crack at it. So,
as far as `find` is concerned, you are passing it a bunch of arguments
that happen to be filenames ending in ".jar". With that in mind, the
001-2187 message should make sense.

To prevent the wildcard from being expanded by the shell, you have to quote it:

find . -name '*.jar'

Scott did a thorough, easy-to-follow explanation on these lists years ago:

https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200502/msg00482.html

The docs may be a little less approachable, but there are some good
illustrative examples in there:

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzahz/rzahzpdf.pdf

John Y.