If there so much as one write to that file, it will be pushed out of memory by storage management. That’s to ensure the data integrity of the file, Read only, that works, but don’t open it for input.

Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects

On Jul 16, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Steve Pavlichek <spavlichek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark,
We did create a private memory pool for this one object. It’s only about 200MB and we have 1.5TB memory. This one file has A LOT of IO to it.

From: Mark Waterbury<mailto:mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 4:54 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion<mailto:midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SETOBJACC status

Steve,

That object will NEVER be "pinned" in memory when using SETOBJACC.

SETOBJACC does NOT "PIN" anything into memory. That is why you should create a separate private memory pool, so that when you issue SETOBJACC, it will do a "BRING" to bring (page in) the entire object into that memory pool. But then, subsequent to that, if any other demands on that same memory pool cause pages to be "stolen" -- well, TOO BAD, SO SAD...

(If it did do a "pin" that could be VERY BAD for overall system performance.)

For more details or how you can write your own program to issue the MI instruction SETACST (Set access state), see:

MI instructions can be written in OPM MI assembler or you can embed them as built-in functions in any ILE language (C, CL, RPGLE).

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury