The small machines (B10/20 and up through the F models as I recall) Normally had internal drives. Both 8" and 5 1/4 drives were options. As I recall they were indeed SCSI. There was an external drive that I think came out later for the 9402 200 and 400 family. Hooked up to a goofy 'Y' cable along with the console!

On the bigger (B30 and up) rack mounted machines the drive was in a huge 3U Rack drawer (9331) and again 8 and 5 1/4 options were available and again SCSI in nature.

8" and 5 1/4" capacities were identical at 1.2MB

In my CPM days I recall using Sugart 8" drives which I'm rather sure were also SCSI, the older 50 pin cables are what I remember. You don't need more than an 8bit transfer to keep up with a floppy drive! I recall these held a bit more as well, something like 1.3+ MB.

But sadly the AS/400 never got my favorite feature the 72MD Autoloader with its 3 slots and to Magazine locations!

- DrF