Db2 does not "require journaling" unless using COMMITMENT CONTROL.

Look at the defaults in your program when you compiled it.  Prompt the CRTSQLRPGI command.  What do you see for:

    Commitment Control . . . :      (it could be *CHG, *ALL, *CS, or *NONE)

If you just took option 14 in PDM, and the default is *CHG. :-/

So, in effect, you told the compiler you want "Commitment Control".

It is commitment control that requires journaling.

This is also true if you are using native I/O and commitment control.

It has always been this way since at least OS/400 V1R1... and probably S/38 CPF before that.