But getting back to Alan's question: What did you have in your commit definition? Was it the same program? Or was one in STRSQL and the other in RUNSQLSTM?

Setting commitment control on individual statements:
RTM: In the manual you will see a commitment clause. You are probably looking for WITH NC as in with no commitment. Sample: Delete from mytable where recid='Z' with nc

Setting commitment control on STRSQL:
F13=Services, 1. Change session attributes, Commitment control . . . . . . *NONE

Setting commitment control on RUNSQLSTM:
RUNSQLSTM COMMIT(*NONE)

Setting commitment control in Run SQL Scripts:
Edit, JDBC Configurations, Isolation level

Setting commitment control in embedded sql:
See Alan's examples.