Justin,
You could create a "clone" of the PART_MASTER table, call it "OBSOLETE_PARTS" ...  (with data) -- e.g. use CRTDUPOBJ, and then use SQL to do a "DELETE ... WHERE OBSOLETE = '1' from PART_MASTER, and DELETE ... WHERE OBSOLETE = '0' from OBSOLETE_PARTS.
Then you would need to add just one trigger to the PARTS_MASTER table as an "instead of" trigger, IIRC, so that when an update happens, to change the status from OBSOLETE = '0' to '1', it will insert that record into the OBSOLETE_PARTS table, and then delete that record from the PARTS_MASTER table.
If you ever need a consolidated view of all the parts, both "active" and "obsolete" you could then just do a JOIN of those two tables.
Might that approach work for you?
Hope that helps.
All the best,
Mark S. Waterbury