While I have to agree that it 'makes sense' for the system to use HMC1 port for LAN console, it does not.

For the LAN console configuration you do want to get to A603 500A. The 3 indicates LAN console. Obviously 1(Twinax) and 2(Direct) are no longer supported but they are in the code.

If you have only 1 LAN card then for sure the connection goes to the T1 port on that card. That will be the TOP port on the card. If you have multiple LAN cards then there is a sequence to select which one will be used for the console.

You are correct that it won't have an IP address until the system boots IBM i enough to get to the point where the console is active. You likely will see C6004031 at that time on the front panel.

Once you boot IBM i the system will bring up that card and the T1 port and give it a temporary IP address (169.254...) ACS will then find that address when you search for console if you have the network on the PC also set to automatic IP address.

- L