The HMC is just that, an HMC port. It is directly connected to the hardware
hypervisor/service processor. Since that port still sees use even when you
don't have an HMC (to access the ASMI, to power on the server, to give one
example), you can't really repurpose it.
The LAN console must adhere to the knowledge center specs or it might not
work ever. It was very picky but luckily it has become easier to use.

Roberto