On 2/26/2021 5:39 PM, Patrik Schindler wrote:
Hello Larry,

Am 26.02.2021 um 18:13 schrieb Larry DrFranken Bolhuis <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I disagree with this. First I don't know of any functions intentionally left out of the CLI in order to 'force this'.

Best Example: Management of the CIFS Server ("Windows Drive Sharing").

You are aware this has been in the O/S for literally decades! This is one of the areas where it makes complete sense to do from the GUI because navigating down to the correct directory to share is much more intuitive. Additionally there are tools you can install to do this.

Every one of the things that could be CLI that seem to be missing have been provided by others or by APIs.

An API is *not* an replacement for a CLI Command.

But it allows for someone to write a tool for the CLI. If it so important then someone would do so and either open source it or sell it.

Second you must understand the level of frustration that new to the platform people face when forced to CLI.

Same as with Linux. But honestly, are there any new to the platform people?

Without question! I see them all the time and they strongly prefer the web based interfaces.

Sorting is easier on displays.

Granted, but this could be also achieved with Subfiles. But because implementation is very cumbersome, it's usually not done.

MASSIVELY more data can be displayed on my double staked 4K Monitors than can be displayed on a 24x80 green screen now 4 ft tall!

Also granted. But there's still a little bit more space with 132x27. ;-)

True, and my first 132 column display was the 'ET' 3180 terminal on my S/36 a 'few years' ago. But once I realized how much was in the GUI.....

I find this argument rather like the truck drivers who swear they won't drive a truck with an automatic transmission because 'that ain't driving.' They are ignoring the fact that the automatic allows for smoother shifts, better economy, lower maintenance, and opens up truck driving for vastly more drivers!

Are we talking about users or admins? AFAIR about admins, so you want to compare repairsmen, and then your analogy is futile. ;-)

I know many admins who do high 90s percent of their job using the web interfaces and those interfaces continue to get better. Eventually folks like us who love the CLI will end up outnumbered. We will !!

:wq! PoC