To James - I understand your pushback to get some useful information. I can only speak to options that I know of, I've not yet been given leave to work with it on our system, someone else might be doing it.

Python has been available for many years in one form or another on IBM i - it has been discussed in these lists many times - you might get overwhelmed just doing a search in the archives.

It does depend, so far as I know, what version of i5 OS you are on - recent versions have the yum methodology for installing all manner of open source stuff, including python.

If you are on an earlier release - seems you might be - there was a licensed program 5733-OPS, IIRC - python was one of its options - in recent times that product has been completely sunsetted even beyond sunset.

Even earlier people managed to get it installed - I don't know if it used one of the AIX repositories or something else - John Yeung in these lists has gone through all the stages.

If you are in one of the version 7's, you should get ACS, use the tooling in there to download and install it - and the myriad other things that might interest you.

I hope this won't have wasted your time, I am just repeating things I've heard here and in COMMON sessions and the like.

Regards
Vern