On your last question yes this method will maintain all the BRMS
information on the tapes.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 4:49 PM Laurence Chiu <lchiu7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK sorry to keep asking this list but as I mentioned, I need to get some
independent advise to measure against what IBM is telling me.

If I get a second VTL (let's say DSI since it's IBM's preferred vendor
now), and I connect that over FC to the the Power server that has
ProtecTier, can you run the DUPTAP command and copy entire library from PT
to the DSI?
Something like this (example from

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/cl/dupmedbrm.htm#DUPMEDBRM.COMMAND.EXAMPLES
)

DUPMEDBRM VOL(VOL002) FROMDEV(TAPMLB01) TODEV(TAPMLB02)
FROMVOL(*SET) MEDPCY(FMT3570)

This command duplicates all volumes in the volume set which contains VOL002
using media library TAPMLB01 as the from device and media library TAPMLB02
as the to device using the media class in the FMT3570 media policy for the
to volumes.

but perhaps with more wildcards to grab the entire VTL library?

And if the data in PT is deduped, then this will be maintained in the
target VTL? DSI does support deduping but I don't know if the algorithms on
PT and DSI are compatible

Thanks