Thanks for that. A few points

1. I meant SAS drives for the SAN :-( The V5030 does not support SATA
drives
2. The other vendor mentioned DUPTAP also with their VTL solution
connected to the ProtecTier. So would you connect the second VTL over FC,
and then go into BRMS and run the DUPTAP command to copy the entire
ProtecTier library to the other VTL? I should add the migration of the BRMS
backups would be a one-off exercise. Once completed production would move
to the other site and there would be no need to connect back to ProtectTier.
3. The SAN seemed like a good option since it meant we could use the SAN
replication feature to replicate the VTL backups to the DR site
4. Another VTL we were looking at LaserVault (
https://www.laservault.com/vitl-2/vitl/ ). I looked at their demo and it
looks like it's BRMS so the users would be used to that. Plus there is a
web interface. Plus thei provide software only as an option so you can run
on your own kit or even on a VM in your virtual machine farm

I am presuming that nobody really minds that the VTL vendor they are using
is not "approved" by IBM?