True : Encryption at the cpu level would defeat Dedup, I did not consider
that part.

The problem with this entire thread is Laurence needs to hire a consultant
that does not have a predisposition to specific products and has the
background in IBM i needed to help him and his organization through this
project.

Larry, Pete, me, and several others on this list are in that category.
Several partners are represented.

While it’s an interesting topic there also too many variables involved,
then toss in vendors who see an opportunity and you have a spiderweb to
crawl through.

For readers of this thread that many have been confused by the back and
forth of it. Budget does have a role in deciding the outcome, but someone
has to make a determination if budget or end goals are more important.
That will light the path to the end.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 10:41 PM DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/10/2020 6:33 PM, Laurence Chiu wrote:

> Well that might be complicated by the fact we might need to ship the
> target VTL to another site. And our security folks are nervous of
> that because of the confidentiality of the data on it. So if the BRMS
> backup is not encrypted they are doing to want the data written to the
> new VTL encrypted. That might impact deduping - I don't know.

You think clearly!!

Now Jim is not. ;-) He mentioned setting up BRMS encryption is simple,
and on that point he is correct. BUT if using encryption at BRMS level
then throw DeDup out the window. Think of it this way: If your encrypted
data can be dedupped then "Your encryption sucks!"

FORTUNATELY All the VTL vendors support encrypted disk at rest. Each
uses some flavor of USB Key required to start the system up when
encryption is enabled. So you ship the VTL WITHOUT keys and transport
them another way, possibly with a person, or via another package. Your
data is safe.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com