From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 8:35 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Telnet server multiple instances?

On 5/12/2020 5:05 AM, Patrik Schindler wrote:

Hello Jim, Paul & Larry,

thanks for your valuable input!

So, the switch to another SBS is done *after* signon? Maybe I wasn't > clear enough, but I wish to have a different signon-screen (language, > appearance) showed prior to signon. So, the differentiating point is > not the user profile, but the connection itself. But I don't know > which attributes of a connection can be "extracted" and used for > routing even the signon request to a separate SBS.

First, yes.

Here's the thing about signon screens. If you read the section in the manual that describes which subsystem will provide the signon screen it
states: "If there is a matching workstation entry with *SIGNON in multiple subsystems, the subsystem that provides the Sign On screen cannot be predicted." Some may argue the one that started first will do so, some will argue the one with the closest match in the workstation entry, some will argue it's the one with the least workstations currently. All of those arguments are incorrect and both Jim and I have played with this a lot over the years and proven the manual correct!

Now as Kevin mentions in another response your choice then becomes the QIBM_QTG_DEVINIT exit program.

In such an exit program you get, among others, the user profile and the source IP address. Using this information you can react in a way that the user ends up in the subsystem of your choice. It's not quite as straight forward as you might wish unfortunately. To accomplish this you would have subsystems with assigned workstation entries based for example on language. Examples might be workstation entries like "USEN*"
to one subsystem and "MXSP*" to another subsystem. When a user who needs Spanish language is detected you would create a device for them named
MXSP0001 for example (Starts with MSXP) then return that device name to the Exit Program. The user would then be connected to that device and with the described workstation entries that device would be routed to the subsystem with the Spanish sign on screen.

Of course the decision tree is up to you! In fact, you COULD:

Decide that the IP address range doesn't deserve a signon screen at all!
Decide that at a particular TIME you don't want to give them a signon screen.

And you could also combine some of this logic with the software Jim brought up if that works for you.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com