Peter,

Encryption and decryption operate on data as binary bit strings.  Translating the data from EBCDIC to ASCII damages the encrypted data bit string, rendering it impossible to decrypt that data successfully.

Download the encrypted data using FTP in BINary mode, then decrypt that bit string data, and finally, translate the decrypted data from EBCDIC to ASCII, if needed.

NOTE: if that physical file encrypted contains binary or packed decimal fields, translation from EBCDIC to ASCII on the PC will also ruin the data in those fields.  You may also need to consider doing something like CPYTOIMPF or convert the data in the file to a "comma delimited" stream file, possibly in ASCII, and then do the encryption on that data. This should avoid issues with binary or packed fields.

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury