> That's not really a standard. Most people assign display names when
> they configure their PC sessions. Your basic user doesn't often use
> the telnet command to go from one system to another. You're
> overcomplicating it trying to catch 100% of the possibilities

I would disagree with this. Virtually NONE of my customers configure display names. Primarily they don't want to be bothered. Besides if that's used for a control method users rapidly figure out if they change it themselves the behavior changes! They are smart like that. Better to control it on the server side if you can.

Years ago one of my customers had 64K data links to locations with ISDN BRI dial backup. Well that's 128K! (2x64K) They figured out that whenever that LED was on on the modem, indicating on the ISDN backup that things were much quicker. So they figured out to pull the RJ48 from the 64K line when they wanted it to be faster. Of course back then you paid long distance on those two 64K ISDN channels so it got expensive. But they are users. Users find a way. :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com