I presume that you currently have handheld scanners that are used to scan
barcodes then docked to upload the scanned information to your IBM i. You
have several options for going wireless.

There are handheld scanners with built-in 5250 emulation from Motorola,
Symbol, and other manufacturers so there is no need for ACS or iSeries
Access. These scanners typically have smaller screens so you (or your
vendor) would have to condense the screen down from 24x80 or 27x132 to
something like 15x30. These screens would contain only minimal information
needed to scan products.

Additionally, MochaSoft 5250 emulator on an iPad with a scanner attachment
works nicely if you don't have a bunch of brutes doing the scanning - the
iPad is a bit fragile for industrial use (although you can purchase a
"tough" case the provides some cushioning and a strap the you slip your
hand into to provide better grip).

So, as usual, the answer is "it depends".

Thanks,

Steve McKay
(205) 585-8424
samckay1@xxxxxxxxx