No, I don't set up anything special in Thunderbird.  I just signed up to midrange.com using my normal email address.  The lists send me emails.  I have a rule that filters anything from midrange.com to a Lists folder.  Easy peasy.

I get every email separately, but I'm okay with that.  And David has worked diligently over the years to make sure that all I have to do is Reply to the message, and all else happens magically.