We all have biases and they are based on our experiences with what works and what doesn't works. Personally I have a bias towards things that work putting the customer business at minimal risk. Also I hate things on the bottom shelf.

As with everything it works to be 'How protected can you afford to be' paired with 'how protected does your business need to be.' No solution is perfect for everyone and for some businesses no solution is perfect at a price they can afford.

For example I hear all the time about my car:
"What a stupid little car." (Opinion)
"In a race with a turtle the turtle would win." (Opinion, false)
"0 to 60MPH takes ELEVEN SECONDS what a joke." (Fact)
"Dead technology. Why continue to drive that?" (Opinion, false)
"It's ugly." (Could go either way)
"It's very hard to repair, unreliable, expensive ...." (Opinion and false)
"What can you tow with that? NOTHING!" (Fact)

But for my needs it's nearly perfect. I am 6'5" and I fit in easily. (Hence the bottom shelf quip.) It hauls me and my laptop easily. Add some tools or a Power System again, no problem. I have gone over 600 miles on a tank of gas (11 gal) and sold the last one with 256K Miles on it. Lifetime repairs were new wheel bearings and a battery plus the usual wear items, mostly rubber things filters and fluid changes.

I tell no one they should by my car. I extol its virtues and point out it's weaknesses. If you drive a Hellcat you most likely will hate my car, though at the gas station you'll spend all your money on Premium and I'll have plenty left over for good craft beer! You'll pay more for your vehicle, more for maintenance, LOTS more for tires, and a lot more for insurance. Likely you'll replace it before 1/4 million miles too. Yet we both get where we're going. Often in the same amount of time. :-)

Same with computing solutions. Compare capabilities, exposure, pricing, support, and your company's needs. Pick the one that works.

Importantly though these sorts of discussions bring to light strengths and weaknesses of the various solutions, biased or not, and that is valuable.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com