> We're doing mostly replication. One reason: depending on the crash,
> you don't know the state of the SAN
> (if you do full mirror including OS parts).

I Do not like the 'Full OS Mirror' option. I don't. Not even a little. Don't like it. Not a fan. You might wonder why.

First you lose many of the options that you have with other choices. You have no ability to use the backup site for anything. You can't do PTFs on one side while you run on the other side. You can't do backups on one while you run on the other. You can't do upgrades on one while you run on the other. Testing on the backup side requires a full stop of replication and likely a long time to get back in sync.

You guarantee an abnormal IPL absolutely. It may or may not come up correctly or quickly. It might not come up at all. It also adds significantly to replication traffic as all temp writes etc are replicated needlessly.

In summary I don't like it. Yes I have done it and in our tests we found issue after issue. Replicating iASP only is far better though still not perfect.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com