Using it without the user/pw should be possible once they introduce the PTFs for at least 7.3.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Richard Schoen
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:18 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: new ODBC driver

Once you get yum working go ahead and install the unixODBC, wget and rpm components before installing the i access PASE ODBC driver.

-After that I just downloaded the zip file and unzipped the RPM file into the root folder of the IFS

-Then run go into the PASE shell with: CALL QP2TERM

Run following commands from PASE shell:

cd /
PATH=/QOpenSys/pkgs/bin
export PATH
rpm -i ibm-iaccess-1.1.0.11-0.ibmi7.2.ppc64.rpm

Then you can exit QP2TERM

That's what did it for me.

After installation your ODBC config file is located here: /QOpenSys/etc//odbc.ini

Before editing odbc.ini, do a WRKRDBDIRE to find your *LOCAL database name. Mine is SYS1

[*LOCAL]
Description = local
Driver = IBM i Access ODBC Driver
System = localhost
Naming = 0
Database = SYS1

You localhost DSN name is now *LOCAL. You can create other named entries if you want. I have not tried connecting to a remote IBMi, but that may work as well.

Now you want to test your ODBC connectivity. Go back into PASE shell: CALL QP2TERM

Run the following commands from the PASE shell to start the isql ODBC test utility

PATH=/QOpenSys/pkgs/bin
export PATH
isql '*LOCAL' user1 pass1 (Use your own IBMi user/password)

If connect succeeds it looks something like this:
|Connected!
| sql-statement
| help[tablename]
| quit

Then run a query. Type: select * from qiws.qcustcdt and press <enter>

You should see your results on screen in the isql session.

All done !!

For any apps that need ODBC, simply use the following connection string for ODBC:

DSN=*LOCAL;UID=user1;PWD=pass1

Note: I don't think there is an option to use the driver without a user/password. I can be proven wrong though 😊

Have fun

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phn: (612) 315-1745

message: 2
date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:33:36 +0000
from: "Andrew Lopez (SXS US)" <Andrew.Lopez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [EXT] new ODBC driver

Maybe I should write Part2 on installation?.

That would be quite welcome! The RPM stuff is quite new for a lot of folks.

Yes, please. Having an ODBC driver on the IFS would resolve some issues with a sister company not wanting to install drivers (unapproved software) on their own systems. I went to start this and got sidetracked by YUM not really being installed on our system. I went to install YUM, and found that SSHD is not started by default. I started it, but SSHD is apparently refusing to run and not leaving me any logs as to why it didn't start. At this rate, I'll be sorting out something completely unrelated to the task at hand.