On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Buck and Jack seem to have gotten a lot further than I have when it
comes to calling Python (from non-Python) and getting something back
which resembles a parameter or return value. For me, I still arrange
my Python use on the i such that Python is writing to the database or
an IFS stream file, or communicating with something outside the i.

Well, I am still using the database. It's just a design pattern I use for
the return to be assimilated into the CL caller's variable space via RCVF.

It has the added benefit that the pass-back leaves a record behind (the
database file) for post-mortems and RCA.

But this is not a language war. It's simply that at this point I'm daily
working on sys admin stuff writing it in Python and calling it from CL in a
scheduled job.

It's just so easy to deal with.

- Mount the IFS locally.
- Use my favorite editors.
- Program in an easy modern language instead of struggling with CL where
people are still debating how to code things by hand that are library calls
in other languages.

I love to play with IBM legacy stuff. I've worked in z/VM Rexx + CMS
Pipelines and I found it simply sublime. I programmed the PComm 3270
emulator to move the source files back and forth to my workstation.

I'm doing Python because I'm working on IBM i and it's the most productive
way for me to service my customers' systems.

I suspect Python will offer a similar productivity edge for sys admin who
adopts it.

We will cover this at COMMON PowerUp 19 !!! Longer Examples !!! Kozmik
Insights !!!

Kudos to you, John Y., for having so much to do with having gotten Python's
nose into the IBM i tent :)