On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unfortunately, the setting I want isn't in the new one. The setting is
specifically "Keep window size" and there is no equivalent in the new client
that I can find. I actually didn't even know the setting existed until I
compared the two side-by-side.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you want, then. Because:

No, I like that the font resizes when I make the window larger. I just want
it to get wider when I switch from 24x80 to 27x132.

So, to be clear, when "Keep window size" is on in the old client, the
window size doesn't change when you switch between 24x80 and 27x132.
This is not surprising, given the name of the setting; and this is not
the behavior that you want. Fine.

So presumably you mean you want "Keep window size" to be off, but
still with "Automatic sizing" for the font. When I use this
combination of settings in the old client, switching from 24x80 to
27x132 results in all three of the following: (1) the window gets a
*little* larger horizontally, (2) the window gets a *little* smaller
vertically, and (3) the font gets significantly smaller.

So this is what you want? You still want the font to be smaller, just
not AS small as if the window keeps its width?

While I do think that ideally, everyone should be able to achieve the
behavior that works best for them, I am not especially sympathetic in
this case. Not because what you want is somehow invalid, but because
the behavior is so poorly specified. What I mean is: How did the
implementers of the old client decide how much wider the window should
be and how much smaller the font should be? From where I'm sitting,
it's entirely arbitrary, and it makes me feel like I don't have
control over it. I might change my tune if they introduce something
like "when switching from 24x80 to 27x132, decrease the font size by
X% and adjust the window dimensions to match", where we get to choose
X.

John Y.