I have done exactly what you are indicating is the requirement.

A machine at 7.1 can not communicate with the bank/payment gateway.

The new machine is not available for a few months - financial stuff!!

So we created a web service on a 7.3 system using IWS.

It was very easy to set up and get working.

It has been very reliable and touch wood no problems.

Since the first web service we have added 3 more to do verification and
auditing of the transactions to prove all is working correctly and to
identify in the situation where a break in communications could cause a
successful transaction from the target server not to update the source
server. (Eg Source system calls web service, web service calls RPG
program that sends transaction to the bank then a communications failure
back to the source system so no confirmation of the transaction is
received.) This check has been tested but yet to occur in real processing.

Cheers

Don Brown