On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:04 PM, Alan Campin <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is just something that I heard but I thought Microsoft had changed
Access to use the SQL Server engine underneath so it would be like using
SQL Server for reliability.

Not that I'm aware of. If such a thing happened, it would have had to
be extremely recent, and done with minimal fanfare (which doesn't
strike me as Microsoft's style).

The current Web page for it <http://office.microsoft.com/access> says
at the bottom that you can "Store your data in SQL Server and
Microsoft Azure SQL to enhance reliability, scalability, robust
security, and long-term manageability." Meaning SQL Server is still an
entirely different product, but you can use it as the back-end
database for your application written in Access. (Or you could use
Azure for a cloud-based back end.) Note that the Access product is
more than just a database; it's a GUI application toolset.

The "native" Access database engine is still Jet, by all sources I have found.

John Y.