The only way to fix it, especially in a large facility is to add humidity at the HVAC units and all CRAC units have the ability do do that. There are normally heaters in there to warm pans of water to add humidity in just these very conditions!!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 1/2/2018 8:55 AM, Steve Pitcher wrote:
Lower humidity = higher risk of generating static electricity.

Steve Pitcher
iTech Solutions
Office: (203) 744-7854 Ext. 176
Mobile: (902) 301-0810
http://www.itechsol.com
http://www.iInTheCloud.com

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 9:29 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: What is the risk of low humidity?

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/8286-42A/p8ebe/p8ebe_tempandhumiditydesign.htm

What is the risk of low humidity in a machine room with little personnel interaction (IOW prolonged exposure resulting in nose bleeds is not really my concern)?
How does one remediate it in an internal data center?
Are the guidelines above "recommended" levels, or damage will occur when exceeding these levels?
I believe Power 8 equipment has overheat shutdown. Is there such a thing for humidity threshold violations? If so, at what levels?

We have the monitoring equipment. Our current action plan on getting notifications that environmental thresholds are being violated is to change the thresholds until the notifications cease.
I did get a phone call to ensure that the general temperature within the building was comfortable for human occupancy. Outside it is currently -12 Fahrenheit.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755