+1.  I see this as a step backwards, not forwards.

Roger Harman
COMMON Certified Application Developer - ILE RPG on IBM i on Power

From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Evan Harris <auctionitis@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:28 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Moving from Green screen app to GUI because of push back from younger employees?

IMO This would only underline what the users see as lacking in the green
screen interface

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A step in that direction may already be available to you.  5250 green
screen allows push buttons, radio buttons, check boxes, even scroll bars.
Granted, this is a long ways from a GUI interface, but its also leaps ahead
of most iSeries shops who refuse to program with the enhanced tools
provided 20+ years ago.

The biggest issue, but it can be worked around, is that way back when,
5250 , by necessity, was screen-at-a-time processing. Today's computer
applications are key-stroke processing.

I'd agree with the training thing.  Today's user's understand "Shft-F5",
not "F17".  They do not understand an F-key to accept a screen  -  they
expect "Enter" to be the "Accept Key."  They expect drop-down boxes, radio
buttons & check boxes to set filters.  They expect to click a column
heading to sort a subfile by the that column, and to click it again to sort
it in the other direction.  This is all doable with 5250.

Pardon the rant, but this is a sore spot with me.  We can't do everything,
but dang me, we can do a lot of it.  If we wanted to. The learning curve is
in the range of one day.

Here is an application <http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-
simple-/SQL_Personal_Menu/sql_personal_menu.html> that you can copy/paste
and have running in under an hour that shows a newer approach.  Its your
own personal mouseable menu.

The ASCII Art <http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-simple-/SQL_Art_Editor/sql_art
_editor.html> editor, for the headings

Saving a user's last settings <http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-
simple-/SQL_User_Preferences/sql_user_preferences.html>  for filters,
starting position, or whatever...

I'll go one step farther:  I am retired and bored out of my skull.  If you
want a specific application as an example, just ask.  I am glad for the
mental exercise.