I've used CHKOUT to quickly verify existence of an IFS object. Just be sure to CHKIN if you find it. I guess some day I need to write a CHKIFSOBJ command.

I think this technique was recommended by someone on this list.

Roger Harman
COMMON Certified Application Developer - ILE RPG on IBM i on Power

From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2017 8:35 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: CHKIN/CHKOUT

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Jack Woehr
<jwoehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ran into CHKIN and CHKOUT for the IFS and have no idea what they are part
of nor what they do. The help, e.g.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_73/cl/chkin.htm ,

Check In Object (CHKIN) - ibm.com
www.ibm.com
The Check In Object (CHKIN) command checks in an object that had previously been checked out. The CHKIN command can also be used to check in a directory tree so that ...

has no link to an overall topic. What is "checking in" in this context?

Well, the help for CHKOUT is a little more enlightening:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_73/cl/chkout.htm

Check Out Object (CHKOUT) - IBM - United States
www.ibm.com
The Check Out Object (CHKOUT) command checks out an object. The object is checked out to the user profile associated with the current user of the job that is running ...

If I'm reading it right, it sounds like what David described.

John Y.