IMO This would only underline what the users see as lacking in the green
screen interface

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A step in that direction may already be available to you. 5250 green
screen allows push buttons, radio buttons, check boxes, even scroll bars.
Granted, this is a long ways from a GUI interface, but its also leaps ahead
of most iSeries shops who refuse to program with the enhanced tools
provided 20+ years ago.

The biggest issue, but it can be worked around, is that way back when,
5250 , by necessity, was screen-at-a-time processing. Today's computer
applications are key-stroke processing.

I'd agree with the training thing. Today's user's understand "Shft-F5",
not "F17". They do not understand an F-key to accept a screen - they
expect "Enter" to be the "Accept Key." They expect drop-down boxes, radio
buttons & check boxes to set filters. They expect to click a column
heading to sort a subfile by the that column, and to click it again to sort
it in the other direction. This is all doable with 5250.

Pardon the rant, but this is a sore spot with me. We can't do everything,
but dang me, we can do a lot of it. If we wanted to. The learning curve is
in the range of one day.

Here is an application <http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-
simple-/SQL_Personal_Menu/sql_personal_menu.html> that you can copy/paste
and have running in under an hour that shows a newer approach. Its your
own personal mouseable menu.

The ASCII Art <http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-simple-/SQL_Art_Editor/sql_art
_editor.html> editor, for the headings

Saving a user's last settings <http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-
simple-/SQL_User_Preferences/sql_user_preferences.html> for filters,
starting position, or whatever...

I'll go one step farther: I am retired and bored out of my skull. If you
want a specific application as an example, just ask. I am glad for the
mental exercise.