I need to answer this question next week to management:

Should we upgrade (in 1st qtr 2018) from V7R1 to V7R2 or V7R3 - and what are
the risks?

This list had a recent few days of discussion about issues with V7R3.

This is a heavily used "medium sized" system

Apps are 50% RPG4/ILE RPG with a lot of embedded sql,

And 50% Win clients and servers using OLE DB to read/write on our system,
supporting web and internal user groups.

A little java creeping in (the Power i is only one major app in a mix of
Unix/Win systems)

About 4Tb virtual optical - every day writing more with old IBM Content
Manager

About 4Tb dds defined files including lots of IFS and 4 ASPs of QDLS
(migration planned but not yet)

This is no longer considered a long term (5 years or more) system to us (but
who knows).

In previous upgrades it has been the DB2 stuff that gets us - giant complex
sql from the Win group.

Would be nice to avoid the 2 steps, 7.2 and later 7.3

We get a once a quarter window for ptfs and backup.

We do have a development partition so can load release there for extended
testing.

Jim