From: Nathan Andelin

Payroll is outsourced. We JD Edwards World and we are just one
release behind. Current version is A9.4 and we are on A9.3.1.

Does Oracle or another 3rd party offer JDE World hosting? That might be the most economical, overall. However, where would that leave Bob if the IBM i platform and the business application were outsourced? Boss might ask, what are we paying Bob for?

There is no one I know of that offers JDE WORLD hosting; that would equate to just moving to a hosted i. There are many, many options for JDE Enterprise One hosting though. We have discussed migrating to E1, but that is yet another, rather large, financial hurdle to overcome.

Funny you mention it - I actually brought it up to the boss that if we eventually went all-hosted that he may not need me. He was shocked I would say that and told me that there would always be a job here for me and that I could transition to something like Director of Operations. There's only 14 people in the company so it's not as big a deal as it sounds. I am the sole IT guy and handle all of IT, so there would always be something to do, even if everything was moved to the cloud.

The other thing to consider is that the boss is 72; I'm sure my job is only secure for as long as he owns the company.

Thanks

Bob Cagle
IT Manager
Lynk