We did indeed recover it twice.  There were a few more trials and tribulations along the way where the company self inflicted critical wounds as well, but the bottom line is three things they learned:

1) Developers don't usually want to be system administrators, and when it's 20% of their job, the usually do it poorly (not withstanding some of the folks on this list)

2) Tapes get old and fail.  When you initialize a tape every time you use it you loose the performance stats on it, that's why there are expiration dates on the volume and files.  That data would have told them the tapes were going bad with write errors

3) replicated systems are cheap compared to explaining to the shareholders (public company in this case) why you lost several million dollars because you saved thousands......

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects