On March 8, 2016, I wrote a message to this list with the above subject.

It had to do with getting "receiver value too small to hold result"
during DSPFD, on a file with no LOB. The actual sending program was
cblabranch at instruction 000030, receiving program QDBEXDME,
instruction 01C3.

There were some PTF documents that appeared to mostly match my
situation, except that those all mentioned a LOB field, and my file
had none. For all I know, that PTF (or those PTFs) could have applied
to my problem as well, but we never applied it/them (I'm not an admin
here, and as far as I know, we are one of those shops that tends not
to stay current on PTFs).

Well, I stumbled upon it again today. Again, a DDS file with no LOB.
The problem also occurs if I try RGZPFM on the file.

One thing I *think* I did on this file was issue CHGPF to update it
after making a not-record-format-altering change to its DDS, instead
of recompiling. Ever since learning this "trick" on these lists, I've
been using it like it's going out of style. Got a PDM option for it
and everything. But now I'm wondering if maybe this is somehow related
to the MCH1210.

I hope you'll all forgive the musing. I'm not asking for any help,
exactly; nor am I providing a solution for people in the same boat.
Just sharing a weird and possibly interesting observation.

For what it's worth, recompiling the file (both last year and now) has
seemed to restore normal operations on the file.

John Y.