Yep it is kinda odd, at first. It has gotten easier with newer releases, i 7.1 worked well but there were places where documentation simply ended and 'educated guessing' was needed. With i 7.3 you actually get 'network install' as a source and that's awesome. The scariest single thing was that command on the HMC to start the partition! Truth told though when you look at all those parms each on their own is trivial so it's actually not bad at all.

Now you just keep a set of media ready at all times and good to go!

Only issue we run into is since we have i 7.1, .2, and .3 clients still we have to update and restart the tftp server to do a new install. Not a big deal but a 'remember to do' point.

We use OPTNET01 for the IBM i Install/upgrade media and OPTNET02 for the PTF media. Then a separate OPTNETKEY that has a LODRUN program on it for loading keys. You can now think of many things this can be useful for. :-) It's very cool in multi-tenant because the customer does but doesn't really have access to any of our stuff. :-)

And of course remember ALL of these guys need to be Vary on at IPL *NO because they only pick up the contents of VOLUME_LIST at Vary On time.

Glad you are having fun!!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com