My examples will be around the PDF black box that is iText.

You have the HTML part covered already !!

Thanks for clarifying intent in the last paragraph.

We could have probably avoided this whole drawn out discussion if you had shared the intent after my first reply.

Discussion summary - We discussed two different filling methodologies:

Fill out HTML form, store data and then generate HTML from the data and convert the HTML to PDF.

Fill out HTML form, store data and then merge the data with a fillable PDF template to eliminate form design.

Both techniques are valid approaches for various purposes.

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com
------------------------------

message: 3
date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 10:23:45 -0700
from: Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Web Forms to PDF (was AFP-To-PDF)

If I get a chance I'll do a little wrapper example since it looks like
Aaron Bartell's code download is no longer available.

If you're going to write something, may I suggest that you write something which is comparable to the tabbed interface which I provided in my example (i.e. something which demonstrates the pairing of form input, PDF preview, and PDF download). Provide your code along with an explanation which is comparable to the article which I wrote. I'm looking for an apples-to-apples comparison.

Or if you believe that an interactive PDF form is a better solution for collecting data, then provide that plus the code or implementation process behind it.

I believe this thread was sidetracked by your mislabeling my offering as "conceptual", nit picking about its completeness, repetitious cajoling for me to place black-box code into the public domain, and directing the audience (if any) to your document management system. I'm not knocking your commercial offerings - just suggesting that they are more broadly scoped than the subject of this thread and the one preceding it.

My intent in starting this discussion was provide a link to a LIVE, WORKING, EXAMPLE that people can TRY, which addresses the pairing of a web form with PDF preview and download, which is comparable with interactive PDF forms (forms that can be filled in with Adobe Reader). I believe the pairing of HTML input, with PDF generation is a better alternative than interactive PDF forms, and I wanted to give people a chance to try it.