Convert your program to free RPG, that will be easy to understand for any good programmer, and it will run great in your actual machine. If you ever want to change platform, first decide your target, and then convert for it. There is no such thing as a language and data definition and control language that can be ported to any platform. Maybe Cobol is close to realty portable, but...

When you decide to go to the cloud, go to: http://pub400.com/ , open a free account , ftp your program and some data, test. Once you got it working, select the plan that will satisfy your needs and port all your application. You can go to the cloud without any re_write. And there are other similar options, you can compare.

On 01/13/2017 11:50 AM, Mohammad Tanveer wrote:
I have a core business process... all it does is loop through
tables... calculates some values and write records in tables and print a
report... idea is that we need to re-write it in a language other than RPG
so that it can be ported to other platforms and new generation of
developers can support it for next 100 years.. on iseries or outside of
iseries.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Justin Taylor <JUSTIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think anyone realistically thinks you're going to put all of your
business logic in your DB. My interpretation is that anything that can be
enforced in the DB (via constraints or such) should be in the DB.

-----Original Message-----
From: D*B [mailto:dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 2:02 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Road Map to move a home grown application from RPG to DB2 SQL
or to any other data base platform

RPG would be my preference on IBM i. But what if your DBMS is Oracle
or MS SQL Server? Developers might use SQL stored procedures, which do
run in the same address space as the DBMS although my point about
"direct access" is debatable. I'm not sure if Oracle and MS SQL Server
provide RLA in addition to SQL.
.. what you are naming direct access is ISAM and was developed in the
1960s, before relational DBMS came up. DB2/400 is the only DB2 dialect
providing ISAM, IBM Host (/360, /370, z-series) has ISAM and VSAM for this,
DB2 is only accessable by SQL. Unix has Informix and C-ISAM. Good practice
is to use ISAM only for small Tables for large Tables and high transaction
throughput RDBMS and SQL is faster and scales better.

@business logic - business rules: maybe my knowledge of enhlish language
is not good enough, in my understanding business logic implements the
business rules (what else should it do?)

D*B