On 12/14/2016 7:36 AM, Rob Berendt wrote:
We've upgraded numerous systems to 7.3.
Many of them had root shared.

Thanks Rob. I searched the archives but there wasn't a simple result
set that satisfied my vague memory :-(

We've stopped all sharing of the root. Not because of 7.3 issues but
because there has been targeted ransomware to find a share that some
client has to root and then encrypt all files on your IBM i. We now only
share various subdirectories.

This makes a lot of sense. How did you effect this change? I'll give
you an example. We share IFS root, set permissions to the proper
subdirectories, and our PC IT staff creates a drive letter on the PC for
the end user. So X: may point to /root/accounting/fy2016.

If I stop sharing root, all of these existing drive mappings will go
away, and the users themselves will have no idea what to do about that.
Will I have to visit every desk in every building to figure out what
subdirectory people are actually using? And then create a new share and
alter the mapping?

What the issue is at 7.3 is that IBM changed from SMB1 to SMB2. SMB1 is a
security joke.

Thanks for this - I'm pretty sure this is what I was misremembering as a
root share issue. Off to do more reading...