Jon,

It's not so much that you *can't* do it, but rather how much easier it is and with considerably less code. Here are my top 3.

The most obvious and probably the most used feature would be level breaks. It is so much easier for RPG to do all that logic behind the scenes for me. I recall working on one of of those "non-cycle (aka manual)" level break programs that had quite a few levels, at least 6, IIRC. The amount of extra code got in the way. Debugging it took a long time. The error had to do with, you guessed it, an issue with the level break logic.

The next one is matching records, which I use pretty rarely, but when needed is fantastic. The amount of code saved is substantial. When written properly, it is quite easy to follow and understand, even if one doesn't fully understand the whole matching records capability.

The last one, which I have used maybe a half dozen times is look ahead fields. It has very limited use, especially since it does not support externally described files, unless defined as internally described within the program. But when it fits the problem it reduces a lot of buffer saving and restoring.

-mark