I could not agree more with Rob last comment
As to the customers who need duplicate work due to the fact that they are
running older releases of the OS ... they should be charged MUCH higher
maintenance fees and for any custom changes to the ISVs product to cover
any duplicate work and higher support costs
Sent from my iPhone
On Apr 8, 2016, at 01:13, Birgitta Hauser <Hauser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I don't understand how ISVs don't support a newer release.
> It is sometimes really hard if you are an ISV.
> I'm working for a small software house and we have to serve a lot of
> customers who are still! On V5R4 releases.
>
> Last Summer (2015) we finally! decided (after long discussions) to only
> support release 7.1 and higher.
> And with this decision we also decided write everything in RPG free
format
> (including free H, D, P specs) and exploit the enormous enhancements in
SQL
> (in 7.1 up to 2 TRs back) .
> Don't ask how often we/I have to write 2 versions of a program and how
> often we have to reinvent the wheel because there is any customer who
wants
> to have any enhancement for an older release.
> And don't ask how often I have to justify this duplicate work (i.e. "Why
you
> had to write it in full FREE format, why did you use new SQL functions
> etc.")
> I think we may be the exception in doing duplicate work!
> Duplicate work is "wasted" money and who pays for it?
> And for small software houses every customer counts!
>
> It seems sometimes to be a doom loop: Software houses cannot upgrade,
> because there are some customers still having old releases that have to
be
> supported. Customers cannot upgrade because the software vendors do not
> support the newer releases.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
>
> Birgitta Hauser
>
> "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
(Les
> Brown)
> "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." (Derek Bok)
> "What is worse than training your staff and losing them? Not training
them
> and keeping them!"

Of

[3]http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.nsf/554c38c4848b77f2862567bd00