On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/5/2016 10:32 AM, Aaron Bartell wrote:
Git has added manual steps to my workflow. Git adds value in the
ability to drop back to earlier versions of the source. When I weigh
the value against the level of effort required to obtain that value, I
personally see marginal usefulness.

I don't find Git a slam dunk.

I can easily see how it's not a slam dunk for most midrangers. For my
own use, I've only incorporated it into mixed-language projects that
are mostly Python. The manual steps *are* annoying. I have little
scripts to help out, particularly with downloading from source PFs (at
least I get to keep the line dates and lose the sequence numbers), but
it's definitely more steps than I'd like. Obviously, I've gotten
things to a point where I get enough net value from it, but my
circumstances are definitely very weird.

I can *imagine* that some folks would get sufficient value from
storing all their RPG source as IFS stream files, thus making Git more
attractive, but it's just a guess on my part. We are still a very
traditional (not even much ILE or SQL) shop.

Other people will weigh the same factors and come to a different
conclusion. I'm OK with that because I'm probably not doing it
optimally. I look forward to a 'Cheap CM For RPG Dummies' workflow
article or wiki page. Because I'll almost certainly learn something.

I don't think it's so much that you're not doing things optimally.
It's that we all have different circumstances, skills, and tastes. I
mean, sure, there's enough overlap from shop to shop and from
programmer to programmer that if someone wrote an open-source Aldon,
it would get a lot of traction in the midrange community. But building
such a thing would be a mammoth undertaking, and it's more likely
that, as you and Aaron both seem to suggest, *if* anything happens,
it'll be through organic coalescing around smaller tools. In other
words, it will more likely be a bazaar than a cathedral.

John Y.