To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/05/2016 11:43AM
Subject: Re: New RFE for your perusal

On 2/5/2016 10:32 AM, Aaron Bartell wrote:
Actually, I was talking about Git not knowing anything of IBM i objects.
It wasn't designed to, so of course it doesn't.

Like saying a table saw is poor at pounding in nails... pounding nails is
not a feature of a table saw.

Saying the right thing is hard. I envy you authors (in the good way)!

I was trying to caution readers that Git is not Free IBM i Change
Management.

I've been playing with Git + iProjects + make for some time. In terms
of workflow, that combination has made my life more difficult due
specifically to the lack of integration. Neither Git nor make are
IBM-aware, and iProjects is just odd enough that it's not easy for me -
a decades-long RDi user - to jump in and get things done.

Git has added manual steps to my workflow. Git adds value in the
ability to drop back to earlier versions of the source. When I weigh
the value against the level of effort required to obtain that value, I
personally see marginal usefulness.

I don't find Git a slam dunk.

Git + make is a non-starter for me compared to Git + a home grown
'promote to production' command. The value added by make is overwhelmed
by the manual effort required to write the .mak files.

Other people will weigh the same factors and come to a different
conclusion. I'm OK with that because I'm probably not doing it
optimally. I look forward to a 'Cheap CM For RPG Dummies' workflow
article or wiki page. Because I'll almost certainly learn something.