On 2/5/2016 11:55 AM, Aaron Bartell wrote:
Saying the right thing is hard. I envy you authors (in the good way)!

Funny you should say that. When I write articles I first have an internal
grammar smith fix it up and then the trade rag has their grammar smith
formulate it to their mag's style. Those people make geeks sound so much
better than we are :-)

Git + make is a non-starter for me compared to Git + a home grown 'promote
to production' command.

Note that "make" isn't for promoting/deploying, it is for building.

I was thinking 'make test' and 'make install'.

Once
the project is built then the deploy can happen. There are tools to do
deploy but custom scripts/CL are fine also. I use tools and custom shell
scripts for open source stuff.

The central 'problem' as it were, is that no combination of open source
tooling is IBM i-aware. Deploying an RPG main program, its associated
*DSPF, the *SRVPGM it depends upon, the prototype source member that
other programs will eventually depend upon - all this is different to
copying files around which is what happens in PC land. Setting
authorities, object auditing, journals - all this and more happens in
IBM i but not in an open source build like say, the Gimp, or PGP.

Actually, having done a lot more shell
scripting this past year makes me realize shell scripting is what I had
always hoped CL would be.

I suspect that CL was always left very vanilla in order to encourage the
community and vendors to enhance it via 3rd party commands.