Thank you for explaining why there would be a difference.

So how does one code for that, if you could determine the emulator in use?

If they are not using the latest then send them the big string, otherwise
send them a message: "Your current terminal emulator is unable to run
this option. Please contact the help desk to get an upgrade if this
support is necessary."? Well, I guess that's one way to get the help desk
moving.

An alternative is to figure out how to get a shorter string to work.

Is there a MONMSG you can put on the STRPCCMD which will say "the command
was truncated" or some such thing?