On 05-Nov-2014 00:40 -0600, Gary Kuznitz wrote:
According to the Quick start guide for AS/400 NetServer at:
<https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzahl/rzahlquickstart.htm>

Not that the doc at the given link is terribly different, but is the system being used really v5r1? The old docs could be a problem, because the different levels of the OS have slightly different effects [documented] for the following invocation:

When I use the cmd NETSTAT *CNN I should have:
** netbios>001:27:44 Listen
** netbios>000:00:01 *UDP
** netbios>000:00:00 *UDP
** netbios>000:30:57 Listen
** 445>427:49:42 Listen

I don't have port 445.

The Work With TCP/IP Connection Status (NETSTAT *CNN) will by default present the "port names" rather than the "port numbers". Be sure either the F14=Display_Port_Numbers [visible with F24=More_Keys] is activated before looking for the Local Port Number 445, or search instead for the Local Port Name "cifs".

Does anyone have any idea why port 445 wouldn't be listening?
I have done an ENDTCPSVR *NETSVR and a STRTCPSVR *NETSVR

The newer doc [at following link] is essentially the same as the v5r1 docs, but is a topic entitled "Configuring IBM i NetServer" instead of a "QuickStart" topic for NetServer:

<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzahl/rzahlcfgiserver.htm>

In that v7r1 doc [and should probably be changed from the v5r1 list since at least v5r3], the port 445 is identified by a /well-known/ name [for Common Internet File System] instead of by the number. The last line of the above docs is updated [contrasted with the prior quoted v5r1 docs] to show:
** cifs>427:49:42 Listen

Regardless, minimally, verify the Service Table Entry exists for the CIFS or 445; e.g. by performing the following scripted requests:
WRKSRVTBLE SERVICE(*ALL) OUTPUT(*PRINT)
DSPSPLF QSYSPRT SPLNBR(*LAST)
/* within Display Spooled File: F16=Find on: ': 445' */

Given that port is associated with the LIC task SMBSERVERMAIN instead of a job\process [shown for 8=Display_Jobs for that port entry when that does appear in NETSTAT *CNN] on the v5r3 system where I looked, if no entry is displayed for that port either the above entry needs to be added [Add Service Table Entry (ADDSRVTBLE)] or if that entry exists then likely logging about difficulties [if not (also) something appearing in the DSPLOG per troubleshooting docs] will appear in the LIC logs. That may or may not remove the possibility of a T-AF entry in the Audit Log identifying a problem; what I usually look for when a server seems not to be starting as expected. The Trace Internal (TRCINT) feature has something for *SMBSRV which apparently is a reference to that SMBSERVERMAIN task.

Another reference for IBM i NetServer, as an effective portal; link to the KnowledgeCenter docs and a .pdf:
<www.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/netserver/>