From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stone, Joel
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:43 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: DSPJRN date/time reliability

We have a production CL pgm run each evening after the EOD jobs which DSPJRN to an outfile for analysis.

We use DSPJRN FROMTIME(20130712 194218) TOTIME(20130715 194700) with other parms to an outfile.

DSPJRN apparently failed to select a handful of journal entries which were written (JODATE & JOTIME) at exactly 20130715 193856.

This is suspiciously close to the end of the time window 19:47:00 - it is 8 minutes from the end of the time window.

Another clue: we MIMIX these journal entries to a backup box. I ran the DSPJRN with the same time window against the backup box, and the journal entries DO exist properly. The ONLY source for these backup box journal entries is the production box journal.

Any idea what is occurring here? Can a journal entry be prepared in a buffer with the curr time and written to the actual journal several minutes later? Then the journal record would fall outside BOTH of my time windows?

Should I be selecting journal records using the starting and ending large sequence number (FROMENTLRG & TOENTLRG) for just this reason?

What would cause journal records to be time-stamped but delay their writing to the journal file? Commitment control? Something else?

Could it be some other issue that I am missing journal records?

PS I cant see the production journal entries as they are too old now and are gone from the prod box (although they are still available on the backup box).