Jim:
You are correct.
And it makes some sense to me now. Our BP was willing to
discount our renewal (and still is) for some reason. Now I
understand why.

Thanks for the clarification.

From:
Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:
07/26/2013 03:40 PM
Re: latest packaging of IBM Rational Developer for i
Sent by:
midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I think you both might be correct. The SWMA on the IBM i software is
one thing. SWMA on the passport site ( Rational Products ) is another.
Many shops don't recognise the difference, and the business partner does
not do a good job of 1) explaining that, and 2) reminding the customer
to renew maintenance ( also loosing out on a very high margin deal in
the mix ) .

My suspicion is the IBM i software has a 3 yr uplift on it, most do, but
the passport stuff does not default to the 3 yr deal (with the
associated discounts) hence a difference in the terms of the maintenance.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects