Here’s an example of our shop’s RPG code :

IF wCstTy = ‘TEA’ ;

Means if the customer type indicates a teacher. Cst for customer, Ty for
type, w for local variable.

I would write this way, using a globally defined constant :

IF wCstTy = gCUSTOMER_TYPE_TEACHER ;

I proposed that we create a copybook for such constants so that everyone
would use the same names and to avoid seeing this kind of thing :

D gA C CONST(‘A’)

My wish was granted, and a copybook has been created. But now, I can’t use
the constant in my example above. I now have to write :

IF wCstTy = gCSTTY_TEA ;

I feel like I’m bashing my head against a brick wall.

Any comments to make me see the error of my ways would be more than welcome.

This thread ...