Rob,

IMHO, you have so many points of failure here that I wouldn't install
the UPS to E4A communications cable at all.

We used to have a huge 10 Kva Deltec unit with 10 batteries and no comm
cable. With routine maintenance, the UPS worked flawlessly for almost
ten years.

Then we upgraded to an IBM 520 and bought the recommended Powerware UPS
and comm cable. Immediately after the new install of the 520 I tested
the UPS/Comm cable/IBM 520/ hardware/software circuit by removing the
wall current feed to the 520. System went on UPS and the 520 generated
messages showing so -all well and good so far.

Months later, the power flickered and the AS/400 shutdown due to a non
existent "low battery condition". Powerware replaced the entire UPS.
Months later, the same situation happened again and our VP said to
replace the POWERWARE with an APC (even though the POWERWARE was still
under IBM maintenance). Installed the APC with no comm cable and never
looked back.

I think IBM needs to put a little more effort into specifying how UPS
systems should interface with their systems being how reliable the IBM
stuff itself is.

Just my 2 cents...

Bryan