First: SSDs have their own characteristics that have to be taken into account. I doubt based on the cost of them they would be used to provide virtual storage for a guest partition. That would be a waste of technology in my view.

Your point about back up and recovery is valid, the IFS does have some weaknesses, and back up and recovery speed is one of them.

As to adding space to the partition, create new storage spaces as needed, link them to the guest OS. They will show up there and you add them to the proper ASP the same as you would any other disk unit. If you are using non-standard sizes (50Gb) then add or two or more 50Gb storage spaces and be done with it. I would keep the sizes of the storage spaces consistent.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects