Jeff,

You are correct, IBM i sees each storage space virtual disk unit the same as a physical unit and will behave as designed and use single level storage techniques. The OS in this case is not aware that the host is also IBM i. So the best thing to do is honor it and give it several disk units to use, in my view, as small of a unit as is practical given the situation. For a 150Gb partition (a very reasonable size) I would set up five 35Gb storage spaces and let IBM i do its thing. The extra 25Gb is a bonus since you don't need to start RAID on the guest partition.

An interesting research project would be to see if a guest partition with all 17Gb drives would out perform one with 35Gb drives, or 70Gb drives. I can bet on the outcome but it will be fun to do the test. If someone could provide a couple of data sets large enough for the test and a routine to use them, I'd be willing to work with Larry to set up a test partition (both physical and hosted) and try it.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 6/24/2011 8:48 AM, Jeff Crosby wrote:
I thought storage spaces were scatter-loaded just like everything else
on the system. Or am I wrong?

-- Jeff Crosby VP Information Systems UniPro FoodService/Dilgard P.O. Box 13369 Ft. Wayne, IN 46868-3369 260-422-7531 www.dilgardfoods.com